If your anything like me and you enjoy eating the cookie dough mix as much if not more than your baked cookies, you will love this recipe. It doesn’t get much better than a cupcake stuffed with a chocolate chip cookie dough center! Then top that with some delicious brown sugar frosting and your onto a winner. Although when I made these I wasn’t that impressed by the cupcake recipe that I was following so I have omitted that part of the recipe and instead suggest you defer to the queen of cupcakes over on The Cupcake Project. Use Stef’s vanilla cupcake recipe or any other flavor cupcake you find on her site that you think will go well with cookie dough (ie: almost anything) and use that instead.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl and then set the bowl aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugars together in a medium bowl, using a spoon, until they are smooth.
- Add the one egg and the vanilla extract to the bowl and beat them until the batter is smooth.
- Stir the flour mixture into the creamed ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips using a rubber spatula and mix them gently until they are evenly combined into the cookie dough.
- Form the dough into 16 tablespoon-sized balls.
- Place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet.
- Place the sheet into the freezer and freeze them until they’re solid. The process should take about 2 hours.
- Follow the recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes over on the cupcake project however only fill each cupcake cup 3/4 full with mixture then drop a frozen cookie dough ball in the center of each cup before baking.
- Once they are done baking remove them from the pan and place them on a wire rack to finish cooling before you frost them.
- Cream the butter and the brown sugar in a medium bowl using a spoon.
- Mix in the confectioners’ sugar until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the flour and salt a little at a time, mixing well after each addition to avoid clumps.
- Mix in the milk and vanilla extract until the icing is well blended.
- Frost each cupcake using your preferred method.
- Garnish with miniature chocolate chips, if desired.
Images originally produced for wikiHow. This recipe is edited from the original wikiHow article on how to make chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes