These are fast becoming one of our favorite meals to whip up for lunch – fresh, fast and delicious we just want to eat them every day! These have somewhat of a Chinese inspiration to them as they taste similar to 2 noodle dishes we eat a lot here in Taiwan – Sesame Sauce Noodles (Ma Jiang Mian)麻醬麵 & Taiwan Style Cold Noodles 涼麵 (although this recipe uses peanut butter and the Chinese versions generally use more sesame paste). Ma Jiang Noodles were actually one of the first dishes we encountered in Taiwan and it fast became one of our favorite meals.
This recipe is great as it combines ingredients everyone generally has in the cupboard – peanut butter, soy sauce & sesame oil. Plus it is easy to customize to your own taste, you could easily try adding more fresh vege’s or even some grilled chicken to the mix. If you really want to try it Chinese Style serve cold with freshly grated cucumber on top … delicious!
- 1 lb. soba, udon or rice noodles
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar (add or reduce amount to your taste)
- 3 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. white sugar
- 6 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper (also adjust to your taste)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 6 limes, cut into wedges
- Cook the noodles according to package directions.
- Combine the peanut butter, rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, water and sesame oil in a large bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients until they are well blended and have the consistency of cream.
- Drain the spaghetti or linguini noodles into a colander.
- Add the noodles and red peppers to the bowl with the sauce.
- Mix the ingredients well using 2 large forks until everything is incorporated.
- Place the noodles on 6 serving plates.
- Garnish the dishes with lime wedges and serve immediately.
+ Sneak Peak…
Hamish and I have also been working very hard over the last month to design a whole new look for Someday Spoon and we are very excited to say that it is almost ready!! We hope it will be to your liking because we love it. We have worked hard to try and simplify the site down to something a little more minimal and hopefully more user friendly too… so check back soon we hope to have it up and working in the next week or so, check it out …