Why is it with life that it is the simple stuff that is often it is the easiest to mess up? Although there is no recipe for life I can thankfully write (what I think to be) a right step by step instructions to a simple and tasty meal. I would love to hear others examples of how they do their own perfect poached egg or any spaghetti secrets.
Nothing quicker and simpler then this spaghetti and poached egg recipe, great family friendly side dish.
- 500gm of spaghetti
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of sweet ham
- Cheese to crumble through
- Olive oil
- 3/4 fill a large pot and bring to the boil.
- Into the pot add a large pinch or two of salt.
- Place a handful of spaghetti in the boiling salty water water and twist; spreading out the spaghetti evenly.
- In to the center drizzle a Tbsp of oil.
- Once spaghetti is soft enough stir to make sure it is all covered.
- Boil for 12 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Drain well.
- In a small pot or frying pan bring 5cm of water to the boil.
- Once boiling add a large dash of vinegar.
- Crack egg on a hard flat surface.
- Close to the water carefully open the cracked egg and slide into the water.
- You may need to un-stick the egg from the bottom of the pan or pot with a spatula.
- Cook eggs to your preferred density (times below).
- With a slotted spoon remove the eggs and drain off the excess water.
- Dice ham and crumble cheese
- Plate the spaghetti and mix through diced ham and cheese
- Neatly place an egg on top.
- Season it with salt and pepper and enjoy.
- When cooking the spaghetti drop in some broccoli, beans or other veg for the final minutes to create a whole meal from this side dish.
Poached egg times
- 2-3 minutes – soft yoke, some clear whites
- 4 minutes – soft yoke, white whites
- 5-6 minutes – Hard yoke, white white