In an earlier post Warming Up with Mac and Cheese Charlene asked about the type of cheese we used, although I could not name the cheese for her it did make me want to explain our fantastic Sunday Market. For all food lovers and chefs this market is a dream come true. We love our local market and best of all every week we get to meet and support the lovely local people farming and growing our produce. Our market is a huge outdoor bazaar with isles and isles of the cheapest freshest fruit and vegetables not to mention the cheese section, the olive isle, the spice stalls, dried fruits and nuts sellers and freshly ground Turkish coffee for sale.
How about an eggplant recipe:
Eggplant is a very common vegetable throughout the Mediterranean, in Turkey it can be used in a moussaka like dish or stuffed and baked. During summer when eggplants plentiful this classic and tasty recipe is sure to turn up on your table on many occasions.
- 3 green peppers
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 eggplants
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 2 tsp of brown sugar
- Fresh sprig of rosemary
- 3 Tbsp of raisins
- 3 Tbsp of pine nuts
- A pinch of pepper
- Prepare the onions, peppers and eggplants. By chopping them in to large bite sized pieces.
- In a frying pan lightly fry the eggplant in oil.
- After frying the eggplant for a few minutes of add the onion, peppers and diced garlic.
- Finely dice the tomatoes and add to the frying pan once the onion is beginning to become clear.
- Add the rosemary, tomatoes, the sugar, pepper and salt.
- Add the raisins and pine nuts.
- Cover everything with water or broth.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to your liking.
- Serve while hot.
- It is a good idea to cut even sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Mix up the recipe by adding zucchini or any of your favourite summer vegetables.
Do you have local markets in your area? We would love to hear about them and how you support your local farmers & growers – drop us a comment below.